Friday, January 10, 2014

Improving the Dust Collection on my Contractor Style Table Saw

So I have spent a fair amount of time working on trying to cut down on the dust coming from my old Delta table saw.  This is a link to more information on the saw where I made my own riving knife and did work to improve electrical on it with a new switch & outlet for a vacuum cleaner.

I can't say that I can take all the credit for the things that I have done, but I will talk about some of the things that I have done. In the first picture, you can see the front of the saw where I have covered up the big opening with cardboard (held on by Velcro you can't see). The bottom is sealed with aluminum tape, which goes all the way around. The opening at the top near the table is sealed with spray foam insulation.

Front of the Saw - Sealed the openings

In the next picture, you can see the back of the saw. I used a corrugated plastic sign at the entrance to the neighborhood which was for a past garage sale. It was several months expired, so I figured nobody would mind. This was perfect as its fairly rigid, but most importantly, it was free. I used the blue painter's tape to put in on, as I might need to remove it when I change the angle and don't want it to be permanent.

Back of the Saw - Sealed with Plastic Sign

The next two pictures show where I was playing with the dust collector that I built and putting a better vacuum attachment on it. Its one of the nozzle, where it cut it to be right above the blade. The other end of the hose has a fitting where I can use my super vacuum cleaner with the dust deputy cyclone to pull off the dust.

Dust Vacuum on the Guard

Dust Vacuum on the Guard

One other addtion I did that I had read about is increase the hole at the back of zero clearance insert. This makes some sense. The blade is not cutting here, but rather at the front. The picture below shows this. 

Opening the Back of the Zero Clearance Insert

Lastly, I put in an insert to hook up the bottom to a 4" dust port.  The white stuff in the picture is painter's caulk that I used to seal it up.

Bottom going to the Dust Collector


No comments:

Post a Comment