Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Outdoor Cedar Cooler

My wife came across an outdoor cedar cooler for the back porch.  She sent me a link to one and then asked me to make one like it.  As always, it got away from me. I made two of them at the same time.  One was for my wife and the other was for my sister in law and her new husband as a wedding present.  

Side View

Lots of plans are out there, but having made one without using a cooler, I would do it again using a cooler.  I made mine going a little over the top, which I would not do again to make it easier.  For example, mine was made totally out of cedar (2x4 or 1x6 fencing) and galvanized outdoor decking screws.  I used a Kreg pocket hole jig to make certain none of the screw showed.  This added a lot of work, but was worth it.  The bottom had a shelf, which was a great feature.  All of the boards were sanded with 80 grit paper.  This kept a rough look, without being so rough one could hurt themselves. I used a tub and insulated it, but if I do it again, I will search garage sales/ Craig's list for older square coolers.  The tub was insulated by both pink Styrofoam and that expanding foam from a can.  Once all done, I then applied some water sealant and keep it covered on the back porch. 
 

Groove Cuts for the top boards


Bottom part is done


Top Part before putting on handle


Inside the tub


I overdid the supports



Finished Front with bottom shelf


Top down view of tub


Insulation on lid




1 comment: